Wall in Knyzna, South Africa 2017
ANISSA BUCKLEY, MBA, CHHC, CPT
Prior to joining Vestcom, Buckley founded a nutrition company and developed the retail industry’s leading nutrition database, healthyAisles™ which scores grocery items for health claims and for which she has a patent pending.
In 2007, Vestcom acquired Buckley’s company. Upon joining Vestcom, Buckley negotiated a relationship between Supervalu, a Top 5 retailer and a Harvard University medical affiliate to co-develop one of the first retail nutrition programs, Nutrition IQ™, which was featured in The Wall Street Journal.
In 2011, she was invited to The White House to confer with Sam Kass, President Obama’s personal chef and the first lady’s advisor on the Let’s Move program. Prior to Vestcom, Buckley earned an MBA and a BS in food marketing from Cornell University. She spent 15 years working for Procter & Gamble, Sprint, and Birds Eye Foods in various marketing and sales positions. She also holds a holistic nutrition counseling certification (CHHC) from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition as well as a personal training certification (CPT) from The National Academy of Sports Medicine.
In September 2013, she co-founded Real Life Food and Fitness which included fresh 500 calorie meals, HIIT fitness classes and health coaching under one roof. She sold that business in 2015.
Since 2015, Buckley has been consulting and undertaking a series of physical endeavors, in the pursuit of physical challenge. Below are a sample of her endeavors:
- Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania – summitted 3 days, 19k feet, carried 40 lb pack
- Himalayas, Nepal, Kathmandu – summitted Thorang Pass (18k feet), hiked 110 miles
- South Africa, Port Elizabeth to Mossel Bay – cycled Garden Route (248 miles)
- South Africa, Cape Town – completed Two Oceans Ultramarathon (35 miles)
- Canary Islands, Lanzarote – cycled Timanfaya Volcano route and Mirador peak
- Mexico, Playa del Carmen, Tulum & Cozumel – cycled Cozumel and Playa
- Colorado, Boulder – cycled Mount Evans, highest paved road US, 14.1k feet; Hiked Long’s Peak (14k), Devil’s Thumb (14k)
- California – cycled Mount Whitney, Mount Rose (Lake Tahoe) both over 10k feet
- Hawaii, Maui – cycled Haleakala volcano (10k), longest climb in US, 36 miles
- Ironman –completed Ironman Maryland 140.6 mi; completed IM Syracuse 70.3 mi, IM Boulder 70.3
- Spartan Beast World Championships 2014, Killington VT
Anissa, I can say many things about you if I were asked for an un-aided, personal characterization: entrepreneur, integrity, energy, passion, vision and sense of humor….I will miss you. Thanks for driving us when we needed to be driven and pushing us when we needed to be pushed.John M Lawlor
You built something from nothing. Your knowledge, passion and entrepreneurial instincts and vision pushed a printing company to be more – more relevant and more valuable…but more importantly, you made things better for millions of shoppers who wanted guidance to make decisions. I hope you take away a sense of accomplishment for your significant influence at shelf edge. It takes a lot of people, as you point out, to make things happen. But the great ideas, the great changes that influence a business or an industry, usually come from a few. You are one of those few. Whatever you do next, don’t stop being entrepreneurial or lower your vision for change. Those attributes are fuel to business.Tim McKenzie
You were bravely and gamely hawking a personally vetted database to clients. From that, you pushed Vestcom into developing the industry’s preeminent health and wellness database in the country. Perhaps in the world…you did that. By force of will and personality. Slay your next dragon with the same passion and zeal with which you confronted this one. Change the world, AB. Few people ever have the same capacity to do so that you do.Cliff Cook